New Paltz Town, New York
Population (2000 Census): 12,830
Date Passed: 02/27/03
Resolution of the Town of New Paltz
Approved by: New Paltz Town Board
WHEREAS the Town of New Paltz has demonstrated its commitment to protecting the rights of all our citizens; and
WHEREAS the Town of New Paltz houses a diverse student and working population, including non-citizens, whose contributions to the community are vital to its character and function; and
WHEREAS the Town of New Paltz, motivated by the commitment to uphold the human rights of all persons in New Paltz and the free exercise and enjoyment of any and all rights and privileges secured by our constitutions and laws of the United States, the State of New York, and the Town of New Paltz; and
WHEREAS several acts and orders recently enacted by the Federal Government, including sections of the USA PATRIOT Act and several executive orders, now threaten these fundamental rights and liberties:
• Freedom of speech, religion, assembly, and privacy
• The rights to counsel and due process in judicial proceedings, and
• Protection from unreasonable searches and seizures;
All guaranteed by the Constitution of the State of New York, the Constitution of the United States, and the Bill of Rights;
THEREFORE, we the Town Board of New Paltz, New York, acting in the spirit of and history of our community, do hereby request that:
1. Local law enforcement continue to preserve resident's freedom of speech, religion, assembly and privacy; rights to counsel and due process in judicial proceedings; and protection from unreasonable searches and seizures.
2. Our United States Congressman and Senators monitor the implementation of the Act and Orders cited herein and actively work for the repeal of the parts of that Act and those Orders that violate fundamental rights and liberties as stated in the Constitutions of New York State and the United States.
Community Group / Coalition: New Paltz Greens & 9/11 People Against Racism
6 Mountain View Place S.
New Paltz , NY 12561