June 25, 2008
Urge Your Senators to Stop FISA Wiretapping Bill!
Following the House's disappointing vote in favor of H.R. 6304, the FISA Amendments Act so-called "compromise," the Senate will debate the bill today and is expected to vote on a motion to allow a floor vote, which is expected tomorrow.
Wisconsin Senator Russ Feingold and Connecticut Senator Chris Dodd plan to introduce an amendment to strike retroactive immunity from the bill.
Call both your senators and urge them to do the following:
- Support the amendment to remove retroactive immunity from the bill. Lawmaking is Congress's responsibility, and determining if laws have been broken is the responsibility of the courts. Congress should not prevent the courts from doing their jobs.
- Vote against the bill, even if the immunity provision is dropped. The bill itself, like the Protect America Act, violates Americans' Fourth Amendment protections of our private communications by allowing wiretapping without individual warrants.
To make your calls:
- Look up your senators' direct phone numbers.
- Call the Capitol Switchboard at 202-224-3121 and ask the operator to connect you to both of your senators' offices.
- See how your senators voted on the Senate's FISA Amendments Act (S 2248) last February.
- Thank senators who voted against the earlier bill, and urge them to vote against this latest bill, because its cosmetic changes fail to protect Americans' Fourth Amendment rights.
- If your senators supported S 2248, remind them that their sworn
oaths to the Constitution demand that they oppose this bill, which
violates the Fourth Amendment. Remind them that you are a constituent
and that you vote.
At BORDC, we know many of our subscribers are outraged at the number of times their legislators have given in to fear mongering and supported freedom-robbing legislation because they believe voters are willing to give up their freedoms for a promise (a hollow promise!) of greater security.
Responding to Congress's ongoing unconstitutional actions can often feel tiring and ineffective. Join the People's Campaign for the Constitution so that together the grassroots can set our government's agenda and hold our government accountable to the constitutional principles upon which it was founded. To pledge your support and to get involved, visit www.constitutioncampaign.org.
Thank you for all you do.